Saturday 19 August 2017

Saturday Photo: Pear Harvest

It's been a wet, rather cool summer but the two pear trees in our backyard have loved it.  There are more pears than the squirrels can eat, and I harvested those I could reach this week.  Not that they're terribly tasty, but getting fruit like this in the middle of the city is pretty cool.

My neighbor Nicola, with whom we share our harvest particularly since they get a lot of down fruit on their side of the fence, said she makes a purée of the pears, freezes small portion,  and then uses them to make pear mousse.  Sounds like a winning idea.  As soon as the pears are ripe enough (and you have to pick them before they're ripe) I'll do just that.

1 comment:

lagatta à montréal said...

Dear Mary and family, welcome back! You do know about the large and of course "populaire" concert at the corner of avenues du Parc et des Pins, where there will be everyone from Rufus Wainwright to Wyclef Jean to Cantor Gideon Zelermyer and the Congregation Shaar Hashomayim men’s choir who sang on Leonard Cohen's final album...

It can also be viewed on screens in many parks and I'm certain it will be available on Radio-Canada and CBC...

Where I lived before on rue Alma, my neighbour across the street actually arranged his little garden to promote ripening of fruit trees, and he gave me lovely pears. I love pears, but haven't seen many good ones at the market yet.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/premiere/emissions/medium-large/segments/panel/34977/bienfaits-marche-cornellier-caron-berher-despres