Saturday 5 January 2019

Saturday Photo: Fort George, Madras, and Back to Work

The holiday is almost over: for more than a  week I've ended each day thinking it was Sunday, but it hasn't been, of course. 

Not I haven't been able to get some work done now and then.  I've got to do more revisions for the latest version of my book about places that are alike, but different.  The current title is Fine Lines: The Love/Hate Relationship between Neighbo(u)ring States.   I'm not completely happy with it, but it's the best that we've come up with so far since the editor nixed my first one.  Unidentical Twins: Why Places That Should Be Alike Aren't Alike would be classified in the Parenting section of bookstores, he argued.  Maybe he's right, we'll have to see how the new title flies.

So I'm checking references, dates and website references, with a Jan. 31, 2019 deadline looming.  I'm about half way through now, having just finished the chapter about the South Indian states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.  Hence the image, which is what the British outpost on the east coast looked like in 1858.  The bustling city of Chennai which now surrounds it  looks quite a bit different....

2 comments:

lagatta à montréal said...

Sadly, I find the new working title very clumsy. I'm translating a book from Italian to English and we are searching for a catchy title from the text; something common in social sciences at least.

I much prefer the previous title. Classifying it under parenting means that the librarians really don't read the whole title which refers to places, not people.

I'm actually looking at the site for the IKEA Swedish grocery; are any of those items (thinking fish above all) decent?

Bonne année 2019!

Mary Soderstrom said...

Thanks for your comment about the title--that is something that was brought up by others over the holiday. So we're on the look out for a better one....

As for the IKEA food, we've only brought the lingonberries, but my daughter and her ex really like the meatballs.

Hope you are staying warm!