Saturday 16 May 2020

Saturday Photo: The Gift of Tulips

Last year about this time our neighbour, the horticulturalist, brought home several hundred tulip bulbs that he'd saved from being thrown out.

They'd been used to decorate the hall for a special Mother's Day brunch in a Montreal hotel.  Now the hotel had no use for them, and they were headed from the trash.

But Denis spread them out on a tarp in the lane behind our houses and offered them to anyone who wanted them.  "No guarantees that they'll bloom next year," he cautioned.  "Their leaves haven't had a chance to make enough chlorophyll to stoke up the bulbs."

So I didn't have much hope, although I planted them at the end of August in hopes that a little more time in the ground might make a difference.

It would seem it has!

I can't remember how many I planted but five clumps are now in fine bloom, making this sorry world a brighter place.

1 comment:

lagatta à montréal said...

So lovely! Thank you.

By the way, my MP Alexandre Boulerice is gathering ideas from Rosemont-La-Petite-Patrie about a sustainable restart after the pandemic. You can consult his site, and I've sent it to friends in adjacent ridings; yours, Laurier-Ste-Marie (Nima), Papineau where I lived before, a few short blocks from where I live now, Casgrain and de Castelnau.

There are scary efforts by the ecocidal right to undermine public transport and encouage increased suburban sprawl. Vectors of planetary death.

Bon printemps!