Monday 5 August 2024

Saturday Photo, a little late: A Rose by Any Other Name...


 ...would smell as sweet, so said the Bard.

But what happens when people don't agree on how you spell your name?

On my birth certificate, my name is Mary McGowan, daughter of Donald K. McGowan and Ella Fraser McGowan.  My uncle Paul, though, spelled the family name MacGown, and my grandfather, David, McGowan.  But Dave's father, Lachlan, spelled in McGown in the inscriptions inside book of his that I've inherited.  

Apparently so did one of Lachlan's cousins or uncles, Thomas McGown who settled near Parry Sound and made a fortune--or so it seems--in gold mining.  Coming back from a camping trip on Lake Superior, some friends saw this sign near Parry Sound.  

And these are all literate, even  well-read folks!  Not surprising that sometimes names get messed around-with!




No comments: