Saturday 17 November 2007

Saturday Photo: Thoughts of Springtime in Paris As Winter Begins


Snow in the Eastern Townships, Quebec City, on the South Shore of the St. Lawrence: winter is settling in, even if it’s only cold here this morning. I saw one car with snow on it, but obviously it had driven in from somewhere else.

Nevertheless, when winter comes, can spring be far behind? We’ve begun talking about going to Paris again next spring. What a fine prospect! We did no travelling last summer, and it is time to do something exciting.

In that spirit, the Saturday photos are pictures I took during our last trip, when I was walking around the 5e arrondissement, looking at the marvelous way gardens are hidden behind the walls of Paris. The first shot is one I took through the grillwork guarding the entrance to an interior courtyard. A man came out as I was pressed up against the gate and asked what I was doing. When I explained he invited me inside, and the second photo is what I found—a well-cared-for garden, an island of greenery in the center of a city whose population density is extremely high. Here’s a link to the Google satellite map of the neighborhood and you can see just how green it is.

No comments: