Saturday 4 July 2009

Saturday Photo: Small Front Yards III, Or Pleasure in Front of a Triplex

One of the basic types of housing in the center of Montreal is what's called a triplex here: buildings three stories tall with a flat on each floor. They're big apartments with six to eight rooms. When they were built in the early part of the 20th century their original residents were the families of factory workers, clerks, and small merchants. Many fell into disrepair when the great exodus to the suburbs began, but over the last 15 years they've been discovered by more middle-class young people looking for solidly built housing offering the convenience and pleasures of the city.

Both of these front gardens are on Waverly Street in the Mile End district. The one on the left shows how much fun for little kids you can pack into a 25 by 10 foot space in front of your house, while the one on the right gives a taste of the tranquility than can be created in the same amount of front garden.

And, by the way, this morning when I passed the Garderie Querbes, whose garden I wrote about a week ago, I noticed that it now has a green expanse of lawn where the controversial aménagement paysager had been.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Very well composed and interesting photos, Mary;-) The small yards have a 'quaintness' about them that draws me in to want to see more! They look inviting! By the way, I wanted to tell you that you have messages on your 'plot' at Blotanical. Also, your blog isn't showing up at the Blotanical. I think the feed needs to be reset. Stuart would be able to let you know how to set it up properly, I think. Don't worry if you don't 'use' Blotanical, though--it is a big consumer of your time! I just thought I'd let you know so you can get it fixed if you feel like it:-) Take care! Jan

Mary Soderstrom said...

Thanks for the comment and the tip about the feeds. I think it should work now.

And you're right about the amazing variety of blogs on Blotanical. I can see that I will have to ration my visits if I want to get anything else done.

Mary