Saturday 8 December 2012

Saturday Photo: What Do You do When There's No Snow?

Skate, of course.  They've put up the boards in the outdoor rinks in the parks near us, but we're not ready for skating yet. But you can skate elsewhere.  The outdoor rink in Old Montreal opened a week ago, for example.

I took this pictures sometime ago in Toronto, which I find very gray in the winter.  Sure, it's warmer than Montreal, and their Bixi bikes are available all year round whereas our season ends November 15, but the lack of snow makes things pretty grim, I think.

Neverthless, a lone skater was out at 7:30 a.m. that Saturday morning, making lovely, solitary circles on the ice.

1 comment:

lagatta à montréal said...

I rode my bicycle. Not especially pleasant, but I had a lot of errands to get done and cycling was by far the fastest and least unpleasant way. I'm very sad about the impending snow. Bixis should be available at least until the 1st of December, until we get our act together to clear our cycle paths of snow as Copenhagen and other Nordic cities do.

I hate snow - for me it means a loss of mobility. I do walk a lot in the winter when I can't cycle, but arthritis means I can't always walk fast enough to get a proper cardiac workout.