Friday 23 October 2009

I Pull Pull the Plug before Geocities Does: Welcome to My New Sites

Geocities announced a couple of months ago that October 26 it would be pulling the plug on its system of free websites. I've had one there since early 2001, and learned a little HTML in order to keep it up to date. The idea behind it was to provide basic information about me and my writing, and to showcase some of the things I've done.

But three years ago it became clear that Geocities was losing interest. It began to do things like no longer support accents, which meant that I had to go in a write ascii code each time I used an accented French word. A pain, indeed! That was about the time I started this blog, which (touch wood!) so far has not run into any support problem of this kind.

By the time Geocities' announcement came, I had closed down much of my website, switching things over to various places on Blogger. And now there is nothing there any more. You'll find all the relevant CV information here, along with cross links to my other blogs. These include ones with news about my writing life, the book discussions I lead and about the trip to Africa that lies behind The Violets of Usambara plus more personal things like our son's wedding, and an annual season's greeting letter (see the one for 2008). Come by and take a look.

1 comment:

penlan said...

Welcome to your new home. :)

And keep up with all of your interesting posts - always a good read.