Tuesday 9 February 2010

Interesting, Thought-Provoking Art from Nikol Drouin, the Voyeuse

My friend Nikol Drouin will open an exhibit of her work next week at a galley on St. Lawrence. I had the opportunity to see a sample of it a few months ago and was bowled over.

As she explains on her website:

"This series of images began in December of 2007 when a friend lent me his brand new, professional-quality digital camera . My first experience with the camera produced a series of images representing full-figured women inspired by the works of Renoir and Degas at the Musée d'Orsay in Paris as well as a fascinating visit to Pigalle's Musée de l'érotisme. Hence, the "Elle" series began, addressing modern-day expectations with regards to female body image, eroticism and identity. "

That the nudes she presents are not perfect is all the more provocative, since bodies age and suffer but remain passionate. Like the photo of Chico Buarque I posted recently, beauty should be courageous enough to contemplate the passage of time and fortune.

A must see:

Nikol Drouin


Voyeuse


17-24 February 2010,
Vernissage, 5-8 p.m. Thursday, February 18

la galerie-espace
4544, boulevard St. Laurent
Montréal

1 comment:

lagatta à montréal said...

Pity, I'd love to see that exhibit, and in keeping with your blog, it is just a pleasant walk down St-Laurent from my place in Petite Italie, but I'll be away that week for work. Hope it will be showing somewhere else.