Monday 12 April 2010

Université de Montréal Lecturers Accept Final "Final" Offer and 30,000 Students Go Back to School.

Gotta rush: it's time to pull out my Portuguese verb conjugations and get back to work. The lecturers at the Université de Montréal have been on strike for six weeks so we've had no classes. But after much negotiation and one sounding rejection of a supposedly final offer three weeks ago, the two sides pounded out an agreement when the Minister of Education put the screws on. So our term will be saved, and I've got to try to remember what I'd learned.

Supposedly 30,000 students were affected by the labour conflict, which says a lot about how the UdM relies on lecturers to teach many, many undergraduate classes. They get paid a whole lot less than full time faculty, of course. Sounds to me that the UdM, like a lot of other institutions of higher education, are riding on their research and not on how they teach. We complained about that when I was an undergraduate decades ago, but it's much worse now.

However, you'll excuse me... e Até logo.

No comments: