Monday 26 August 2013

Catching up on the News: Not Hard at All

While we were on holiday we didn't watch television, listen to the radio and looked at a newspaper only twice.  We checked email a couple of times and used the internet for reservations, but aside from that I didn't go near any of the social media.

Result?  We were completely out of the loop for two weeks, and didn't suffer from it at all.  There was a large stack of newspapers to go through when we got back and a pile of relatively important messages that may need some action.  But it looks like the world went on its troubled way quite well without my scrutiny.

I'm trying to figure out the message here.  Is it that we don't need to be plugged in all the time? Or that the grand events will unroll whether I want them to or not?

Perhaps both. At any rate, I'm going to have to make a list of actions that I should undertake to follow up on things that have happened, but strangely I don't feel any imperative to hurry to do so.

A positive effect of taking time off, perhaps.

The photo, BTW shows a graphic juxtaposition of time scales: the deformed sedimentary rock that dates from millions of years ago and the kelp that is covered and uncovered by the tides twice a day.  

No comments: