Saturday 9 March 2019

Saturday Photo: Craftsbury Common and Frenemies

Jessamyn West, the Vermont librarian, took this lovely photo of Craftsbury Common, in mid-state Vermont.  I love it for its peaceful beauty and the way it captures a vision of story-book New England.  Of course, the story is far more complicated than the photo suggests, as I consider in Frenemy Nations: Love and Hate between Neighbo(u)ring States which the University of Regina Press will publish in October.  Vermont and New Hampshire are two of the pairs of places that have much in common but which are in many ways very different, and Ms. West has kindly allowed us to use the photo in the book. 

Part of the reason for posting this photo today is because we're entering the count-down to publication: I'm supposed to get the copy edit this week, and hope to turn it around within a couple of days.  It will be interesting to see how people react to it.  Initial comment is quite positive, but then after 15 books (this is my 16th) I know that friends are unlikely to tell you anything negative unless you ask, and usually I don't ask...

No comments: