Saturday 4 January 2020

Saturday Photo: Against War in Iraq 17 Years Ago, at -26 C (-14.8 F)

Must credit Jacques Sabourin for this photo taken February 15, 2003 when something like 200,000 people turned out in Montreal to protest again a war in Iraq.

We were there, and I've never been prouder to be Canadian, because this march probably tipped the scales against Canadian involvement in that stupid affair.  The march last September against climate change was bigger, but, let's face it, it's a lot harder to protest when your breath is freezing on your face.

Unfortunately we may be back where we started.  I've spent far too much of my life protesting war, yet if something is organized soon, count me in.  The US strike that killed Qassem Soleimani was ill advised, making things a whole lot worse.  Furthermore, reaction to it is going to sap energy that might be better expended in getting a Democrat elected to succeed Donald Trump as president of the US.

Of course, that's part of the strategy you may be sure.  Thanks to John Deering of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for the telling cartoon.

1 comment:

lagatta à montréal said...

I'm pretty sure I attended both of those.

Say pretty sure as I was overseas at the first anti-Iraq-war demo here, demonstrating in Belgium. Oh, it was only about minus 12C, but I was freezing between the damp chill and bitter winds off the North sea and the fact that I took only my "mild winter" coat over there. I'd still do that in the Low Countries, but would make sure to take proper base layers. I did at least two other demos here in about -25c over here. Though I've never smoked cigarettes, and have had only the most cursory puffs on joints at parties, I do have respiratory problems.

A very kind Belgian friend bought us hot waffles at the demo over there. I'm very sad that this darling friend has been suffering from serious mental health issues. His companion had been very understanding and helpful, but I've lost touch with him and her, and don't know if that is still the case. At least he is alive, as I'd have certainly heard otherwise.