Saturday 12 December 2009

Saturday Photo: Running in the Snow

This photo is a repeat from nearly a year ago, but it fits perfectly with the sun and new fallen snow of today. Couldn't resist using it again.

This has been an exceptionally busy time: lots of work with my own projects, plus doing some proofreading for others, as well as the Portuguese class. (I have no idea how I did on the final, BTW, but I do know that I learned a lot taking it, which is what good exams should do.)

Last night was the annual supper of Les Durochères, my neighborhood book group, one of the most pleasant events of the year. We all bring food, other goodies, and our thoughts on the books we've read for our monthly meetings. Then we vote on the best one: Ce que le jour doit à la nuit by the Algerian write Yasmina Khadra won. It hasn't been translated into English yet, although several of his earlier novels have, including The Swallows of Kabul and The Attack. He's worth reading, although my favourite of the 10 books (we don't meet in July and August) was By Night in Chile by Roberto Bolaño: I didn't even rank the Khadra among my top three. My two other favourites were The Stranger by Albert Camus (much, much better than the Khadra I think, but very interesting to read in tandem) and A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. Of course, one of the great things about groups like this is diversity of opinion: a book everyone likes frequently turns out not to elicit a lively conversation.

Tonight the pleasure continues with a Japanese meal at Elin and Emmanuel's with Sophie and Lukas. It's a belated Christmas present, scheduled for late last winter, but life got complicated. Now we'll all be able to spend an evening unwinding!

3 comments:

lagatta à montréal said...

I can't run, but this post gave me a kick in the posterior to go out for a good long walk (as I mourn cycling, at least for the time being), including in parc Jarry, to get some fresh air.

Will have to find By Night in Chile (in Spanish); sadly our favourite source for Spanish books (they also had some in Portuguese, Brazilian mostly, as well as French and English) closed down a few years ago due to a rent hike. You must remember him as he wasn't located far from you, on St-Laurent near Villeneuve if I recall. Well, there is still Las Américas but it is not nearly as good, and Librairie espagnole on the Main is useless.

Mary Soderstrom said...

Actually, Maria, I just checked on the Montreal library website and there are copies in Spanish at Mile End and Plateau branches plus one at Côte des neighes which is out until next Thursday.

Try this: http://gulliver.ville.montreal.qc.ca/search~S58*frc?/Ybolano&searchscope=58&SORT=D/Ybolano&searchscope=58&SORT=D&extended=0&SUBKEY=bolano/1%2C34%2C34%2CB/frameset&FF=Ybolano&searchscope=58&SORT=D&18%2C18%2C

lagatta à montréal said...

Kewl! Obviously both Mile End and Plateau are easily walkable for me - Mile End is a bit closer, but both are fine walks (Côte-des-neiges is direct by the Blue Line by métro). Will have to have my Mtl library card renewed - not the same card as BNAQ.

I never even thought that would be available in the public libraries, in the original language. Mile End is also close for my Spanish teacher from Argentina. Outremont even closer so, as she lives on Bernard near Outremont, but she shops on avenue du Parc frequently anyway. On foot, of course.

The deeply mourned bookshop was called Abya Yala. I know you have already written several posts about independent bookshops; here is one in Le Devoir mentioning the late Abya Yala: http://www.ledevoir.com/culture/livres/62964/la-vie-fragile-des-librairies-independantes

I think they have at last opened their archives up a bit!